StatCounter

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Great College Uniforms

My first blog since August 29. Hmmmmm, does that mean the sports world hasn't delivered anything worth posting? Not hardly, two days after the post Appalachian State gave me plenty to say. In fact, my high school's football team won several (more than 3) football games this year...that in itself is blog material, trust me we've sucked forever. Finally, Red Sox nation is now so big that I'm moving to Canada.

The real reason for the silence is in my previous blog, I predicted a fruitful season for my beloved Golden Gopher football team. For the record: I was wrong. The sad part is the Big Ten is really bad. Check that really, really, really bad. After watching Michigan this weekend, that team doesn't exactly strike the fear of anything into me.

Onto the fun. As most know, college football is my favorite past-time. Thought I'd share my favorite college uniforms. You'll see a trend, until the last one.

My Criteria: The uniform cannot have changed drastically over time. No such thing as an all one color or special jersey for special games, etc.

1. Alabama - the number on the helmet is so cool, the gray facemask...the tide has this one sewn up every year for me.
2. Michigan - most recognizable helmet in sports
3. Penn State - these guys don't need fancy uniforms....what you see is what you get
4. Texas - great logo on helmet....the burnt orange is very unique...they lose points for the "Texas" on the front of jersey.
5. LSU - probably would've ranked higher, but they've had a special jersey or two over the years. I absolutely love the stripe on the shoulder...they get points for their field (the tiger eye at midfield is by far the coolest/unique field graphic out there).

Honorable mention....Oregon. Okay, they miss out on every criteria on my list. Its just that I respect a team that is so far out there that they deserve a mention. I read somewhere that they have 300+ combinations of uniforms. Admit it everytime you see an Oregon highlight on Saturday, you get a little excited to check out their unis?

Time to sound off.

8 comments:

TC said...

I'd be interested to know if you have any fav high school hockey/college hockey unis?

Tony Zosel said...

great idea tom. I will tell you with absolute certainty that your high school team's uni will make the top 5. There was no sweeter sweater than that. Ahh the beauty of a blog.

Anonymous said...

I'll one-up you with the top 10 college nicknames:

10) Volunteers
9) Jayhawks
8) Mountaineers
7) Buckeyes
6) Cornhuskers
5) Boilermakers
4) Tar Heels
3) Crimson Tide
2) Longhorns
1) Razorbacks

Anonymous said...

TYPICAL EAST COAST Response with the nicknames...Can't you find at least one team WEST of Lincoln? You could stretch over 22,000 football fields from Memorial Stadium to the site where OJ Simpson forfeited his Heisman - but a guy from the East Coast can't find ONE SINGLE nickname to make the top 10.

Here is what you missed:
-Trojans
-Vandals
-Banana Slugs
-Anteaters
or Zosel's favorite - the Rainbows...

TOO much East Coast Hype!!! Only 1 of the last 10 Heisman winners was found East of Columbus. And if it wasn't for the state of Florida - the last championship trophy hoisted in the East would of been 30 plus years ago in Pittsburgh (I knew that would make you happy Lobl)....

Just remember - you can't spell
L-E-A-S-T without..well - you get it...

ecederstrom said...

Z, I can't argue with any of you posts, including Oregon. My only exception is that I'm sick of seeing the burnt orange, maybe it's a product of seeing all the Walmart fans here in central Texas.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Sioux mentioned in your upcoming college hockey uni/nickname comments.

Anonymous said...

How about Ole Miss? Classic combination of Old School and Deep South! The image of the Rebel flag looms in your memory every time you see the uni.

Anonymous said...

This is very good. However, this is the first list ever which did not include the Powder Blue and Gold of the UCLA Bruins.

Tony Zosel said...

Couple replies:

Miss: I also love the Ole Miss Uni (the gray pants are so cool)

UCLA: I almost included them, but the black they inserted into their look a few years back was enough to kick them out (they may have gotten rid of it by now, but I haven't noticed)

Texas: I never said I liked Texas. I don't think I could ever say that, especially after the warm welcome I received in April 1991 while visiting the campus (some thief treated my car like I was a Texas A&M alum..taking all of my belongings including my entire music collection). I still admire their uniform.

College Hockey Preview: Minnesota will not make it, nor will UND until they put the old Indian Head back on the front of the jersey.

High School Hockey Preview: Edina will not make it....ever.