StatCounter

Monday, November 26, 2007

College Hockey Unis

Got a lot of requests for my take on college hockey uniforms after my post on college football uniforms. I have 5 top ones and an assortment of "others receiving votes".

1. Wisconsin Badgers - Two Colors, never changes from year to year...they are the Penn State of hockey uniforms. Note: the only reason I can stomach giving the hated "94 Easts" this title is that their team is always so beatable, their fans are so uneducated, and their arena doubles as a basketball gym. Enough said.

2. Maine - A brilliant design of color and class. Always fun to see a Black Bears highlight.

3. CC - For years this has always been a favorite: Black and Gold done right. A uinque type treatment for CC combined with a taste of the tiger stripes

4. Michigan - Classic Jersey never changes, great helmets. The whole package, again their fans don't know the difference between a forecheck and and a body check.

5. St. Cloud State (3rd Jersey) - A great jersey could have been much higher but their Home and Away copy of the Montreal Canadiens almost bumped this jersey to the Others Receiving Votes.

Ohters Receiving Votes:

Denver/BC - I love this uniform, the little number in front is always a cool touch. Denver needs to kill the shiny material.

UND (old logo) - an entire book could be written about the logo controversy at UND. MY vote is for the old Chicago Blackhawks style Indian head (home whites were so sharp...brings back fond memories of Gino and the old Englestad).

Minnesota 75 year replicas - The Gophers donned a 75th anniversary uniform in the mid-nineties (Justin McHugh, Jeff Nielsen era) it had horizontal maroon and gold stripes with the old school shoe lace tie on the neck.

Ok guys, your turn to sound off

6 comments:

ecederstrom said...

I can't argue much with you Z unless dropping the Sioux down to the also-ran category but that's just pure bias on my part.

I became a fan of the UAH unis at UND when one of my roommates showed up with one (he was from Alabama). Classic whites are always in style in my book.

Unknown said...

OK, Z, you know I don't know diddlysquat about college hockey. I made that abundantly clear a few years ago when you and I were walking into the Minnesota-Michigan football game at the Dome. Someone had a maroon t-shirt with the words "Four National Championships" on it in gold letters. I embarassingly asked you what the national chamionships were for. With a look of shock and disgust, you shouted at me "hockey!!!!"

Chalk it up to geographic ignorance. Kinda like when we first met and you asked me where I attended college. I told you Washington & Lee. Your response was "that's Robert E. Lee from the Civil War, right?.................What side was he on again???"

Anyway, you and Cheddar may be interested to know that one of my new co-workers in Atlanta (Brad Hamilton) was a defenseman on Michigan State's 1986 national championship squad and played some pro hockey in Europe. He chuckled at me the other day when I asked him if the hockey team also played in the Breslin Center (have watched MSU's squad dismantle NC State the night before). What a ridiculous question. Of course they had their own facility.

One other fun work tidbit. I have another co-worker boasting a national championship ring. Tim O'Leary was a backup d-back on Georgia Tech's 1990 national championship team. And yes, his dad is George.

Tom Dierdorff (osting under his wife's e-mail account)

Anonymous said...

Going back to SWHS days of the Indians, I too appreciate the head-dressed mascot of CHI Hawks(and yes)the Fighting Sioux. Couple of additional comments/items...
ASU Sundevil hockey is only club but I say we throw 'em a vote (good fans by the way...) http://www.sportseye.com/viewphoto.php?&albumId=25032&imageId=816775&page=1&imagepos=16
Also, best hockey uni logo ever is: http://www.azhockey.com/images%20-%20logos/LogoWhaMinnesotaFightingSaints.jpg

Tony Zosel said...

TZ Retorts to EC: The latest Sioux Indian head is way too PC to make my top 5. I do like UNDs 3rd jersey, very sleek. The current greens and whites are Might Duck circa 1998/99, very dated jersey with a PC logo. Why don't they just put a frozen Gopher on the jersey?

TZ Retorts to "Katherine": Katherine, my knowledge (or lack there) of the civil war has only gotten me in trouble once. Tell Brad congratulations to him and the Spartans in 86 (and once Ag-AIN) last year. Munn Arena would be a nice HS rink by Minnesota standards. If he played on the '87 edition of Sparty, tell him that the phantom Steve Archoplane (sp) goal that defeated my alma mater in the semis, still hurts to this day (I was at Joe Louis Arena for that game).

TZ Retorts to TC: No love for the ASU uni (looks a bad UMD ripoff). Like the Fighting Saints...but the Black Hawks is still my favorite, then the Canadiens, then the Maple Leafs (see a trend here?)

Anonymous said...

PO to TZ:

I think I did figure out the 'trend' in your last email. Since you like the Blackhawks, Canadiens and Maple Leafs - that must mean that you like losing franchises. Blackhawks last cup in '61, and only 1 playoff win, yes - that is 1 game won in the last decade..Montreal has played early golf 5 of the last 8 years, but Toronto leads this category by a longshot...Even though they dub themselves as the hockey-capitol of the world - their poor performance on the rink tells a different story...4 decades since their last Stanley Cup banner, and a good fact which is truly enjoyable for the rest of the hockey world - 2 straight playoff misses and they look well positioned to make it 3-in-a-row in a few months...Let me guess Tony, your 4th favorite jersey is Columbus and #5 must be Washington.

Anonymous said...

Peter Johnson Says:

I realize this might already be on the Zosel blog ledger, but please tell me you're going to talk about pro hockey uniforms and sing the praises of Les Nordiques de Quebec. Easily the greatest non
Original Six uni in NHL history!