StatCounter

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Musings from MN

Needless to say this is one of the crazier weeks in MN sports history. Here are a few thoughts from my perspective on the week that was and hopefully will be...

Last Wednesday the Twins lost Game 3 (0f 4) to the Tigers in Detroit going 3 games back with 4 to go. Without any Major League pitchers (okay, Joe Nathan is Major League), without a guy named Justin Morneau, and the Tigers at home for these last 4, most (including myself) were saying GAME OVER. I was wrong (first time for everything). At this point the rest is history: the Twins win game 4 to inch to within 2 with 3 to go, the Whitey Tidies beat the Tigers 2 out of 3 and the Twins sweep the Omaha Royals to force a game today for the right to play my least favorite team NYY (David and Goliath blog forthcoming).

On Saturday, my favorite team lost to my least favorite team in spirit crushing college football fashion. Next Topic.

Sunday afternoon was the icing on the cake for today's 1 and done playoff with the Tigers.

Add all of this to the circus that was last night at Mall of America Field (what the heck is that anyway?). So while watching my favorite NFL team beat up my least favorite NFL team I check my Facebook account. The swirl of Viking chatter amazes me...this town loves it's Purple. But then I read a tweet by a woman "friend" from Madison....she writes "I wish that ESPN and Brett Favre would just get a room." That's when it hit me (and hopefully her too), that for 16 years we (Vikes Fans) nearly lost our lunch every time the guy completed a pass and the announcers would gush. The ESPN guys were actually doing a pretty good job last night considering the circumstances (Mike Tirico amusingly called it a circus at least 2 times). Until they (Jon Gruden specifically) started talking about how many great throws he had made in practice in years gone by (really?!!! practice, do we really care how he threw a ball in practice 10 years ago....really???). So they show this "never been released" footage of Brett Favre throwing passes in practice in his GB days. Yes, they showed him throw at least ten 40-50 yard passes in practice....probably the worst sports broadcasting moment since the Natalie Gulbis show aired on the Golf Channel in 2007.

All in all, a fun few days up in here in Minny....and we haven't even dropped a puck yet (professionally anyway, my 9 year old has been going strong since August 25)!

If all goes well, another Fave team will be playing my least Fave this week.

Go Twins.

5 comments:

Andy said...

omaha royals? you realize greinke is going to win the cy young, right? if you're saying a sweep was expected there, you need to watch some more baseball.

Tony Zosel said...

Happy Early birthday "Andy"....tomorrow's blog will be for you and all of the Yankee fans out there. You don't need to watch a lot of baseball to know that the Twins would sweep the Omaha Royals.

Unknown said...

I liked the US map they showed to indicate the ESPN poll results for "who do you think will win the game"...of course 49 states were purple and 1 state was yellow.

Andy said...

Giving the twins props for beating the best pitcher in the AL makes me a yankee fan? I dont know what you're watching that made you think beating greinke was an automatic, "Tony".

Tony Zosel said...

"Andy" sorry for the misunderstanding...thought you were a yankee buddy of mine, who takes great pride in knowing more about baseball than me.

You're the first poster/commentator I can't figure out...who are you?

I know Greinke is good, but he's not insurmountable (see Pedro Martinez in his prime). Just my two cents.

TZ