StatCounter

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Softball and other low moments in my sports history

Okay, I did it. I broke down and participated in a competitive sport that requires a semblance of coordination, moments of sprinting, and my favorite: a lot of worthless chatter. Yep, I played softball last night.

Here's the rub. Our office use to neighbor next to another agency. Needless to say, over the years, minor animosity arose (just imagine the worst bathroom ettiquettes..both male and female and you know where this is going). Enter Brendan Loughery to our company. In his spare time he writes TV, web, brochures, etc. but his main job is organizing softball teams.

So needless to say our company now has a team and yes, last night we played the former neighbors....and yes we put a beating on them. Don't remember the score, but the highlight came when one of their guys struck out and no one on their team laughed (note: it is a long standing softball tradition to laugh a guy out of the park for whiffing)...they just sighed in quiet disgust.

Yes, admitting I played co-ed softball and actually stretched a single into a double because the girl in the outfield bobbled the ball is #5 on low moments in my sports history.

4. Is making an 8 on the first hole of a playoff in front 20 other guys. I didn't think it was possible to make that many bad shots in a row.

3. Getting knocked out cold in an Edina/SW hockey game my Junior year. So many girls, so little sympathy.

2. Playing for the hand picked "A" squad Kappa Sig (Big Red Machine) and losing to the B squad (Greens/JV) in a league game. The heckling still hasn't stopped. It was like watching the Titanic, after the first scene (inning), you knew the ship was going to be a wreck. That game set the word brotherhood back 10 years.

1. Being physically removed by my Dad from a baseball game at age 10 (body, hat, glove, bike, the whole 9 yards in the back of the VW van, followed by his signature 5 finger salute). Picture this: umpire and I have a "disagreement" about balls and strikes and one thing leads to another. Roberto Alomar would have fit in well on my Little League team.

Some (or actually most) have some history with me. Add your own list or for that matter add one to mine.

No comments: