StatCounter

Friday, January 16, 2009

Rudy Martzke on Tom Hamilton

Rudy Martzke is one of my favorite columnists, not because of how he writes, but what he writes about. Rudy (more so in the past than today) writes about broadcasters, broadcast efforts, TV/Radio contracts, etc (the game outside the game per se).

So today, I'm going to do my best Rudy Martzke on a game I watched last night between MN and WI. Broadcast team of Tom Hamilton (yes, the Cleveland Indians radio voice) and Jim Jackson.

Opening set: Hamilton immediately turns off the viewer with possibly the worst pun I've heard since Johnny Carson left his Burbank studios: "Its cold outside, but its going to be hot inside the Kohl Center". Seriously? Same set he tells us that his partner is Jim Jackson, the two-time Big Ten player of the year. This is good information to know, but he told us that he was 2 time BTPOY 3 more times, and 3 other times that he was All BT. Do we really need to be told this 7 times?

Game Notes 1: Hamilton must be reading from a script that reads like a Shampoo bottle:  (insert robotic voice) Say Bo Ryan is a good coach, Say Al Nolen is a good point guard, say The Badgers are 568-3 at the Kohl Center, Lawrence Westbrook is the cousin of Philadelphia Eagle RB Bryant Westrook, (Repeat) Bo Ryan is a good coach....

Game Notes 2: As the play continues Jackson actually adds quality insight as to why WI is handing to MN.  His analysis is spot on, his terminology is fresh and he doesn't have some whacky schtick (I wish more color guys would follow his lead). Maybe because he's my age he also throws in a reference or two from his generation. Last night he made a Chris Jent reference (as much as this guy boiled my blood...it actually was fresh and applicable).

Game Notes 3 (more Hamilton bashing): As the game progresses to our favor, Hamilton stays with the script but tweaks it a hair..."if the Badgers were to lose it will make their record 568-4 at the Kohl Center" and other thought provoking gems like "this win might be a sign of things to come for the entire Westbrook family this week"

Hamilton in Review: I swear his brain can only calibrate so much data, probably because it is so busy waiting for a guy to make a 3 pointer so he can say "Triple" instead of 3 pointer.

Jackson in Review: Very high rank for a second year guy...much better than Kevin Lynch, Mike Kelley.  I'd say he's a rising star (Greg Kelser type).  Don't think he'll make it to Clark Kellogg status, but he's got a future.  Wish he would be a little more opinionated (show some judgement about someone's play).  Like last night, they treated Al Nolen (who played horrible) like a white elephant in the room.  He played terrible, would someone in the booth stand up and say it...please?  Jason Bohanan (aka BoneHead) takes the ball to the basket and tries to win the game with 30 seconds left, only to have it swatted away leading to a game tying set of threes by the Gophers.  Jackson needs to step up and call a Spade a Spade.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are a bunch of reasons why many of today’s broadcasts leave a little to be desired, but knowing that today’s attention span is less than 2 minutes, I will keep my opinions brief and to the
point(s).

Background: I have directed and produced Live sporting events for a living since 1994 (if you consider TV money a ‘living’ that is). My world on game day resides INSIDE the TV truck, with a goal of trying to give the viewers at home the best possible experience. I was directing the show when Andrew Brunette ‘retired’ the hot-head known as Patrick Roy with a game-7 backhand. I was directing when Blake Hafffarrrrbbbeerrr knocked down the shot from his wallet for Hopkins, and also when he nailed the 22-foot 3-pointer that actually sent it to overtime, but that one never gets replayed. I had the game when ASU knocked off the #1 Cornhuskers 19-0 in 1996, and if you haven’t seen the Sun Devil student body, and I do mean body, go crazy – you haven’t lived. I have had the distinction of handing Jacques and Mario the television replay of Brad May’s sucker punch on Kim Johnsson in the post season. I produced and directed the live video tribute for Edgar Zholtok and his family at Xcel after Sergei died at 31 years old. And I pretty much sealed my fate at a LA station when I declined my bosses repeated requests to shove a microphone into Monty’s face when Steve Elkington made a 50-footer at Riviera to squeeze the Scot out of the 1995 Wannamaker Hardware..

I know as a director that I have lots of power on the broadcast. The audience at home will only see what I decide to show, which camera angles I choose, which players or coaches I cover, which replays actually are seen at home, and that is the same for every live broadcast no matter who the director is. Now how a director decides to “cover” the game is basically up to him/her, their interests, and ultimately the interests of their boss (whether that an individual, a network, or maybe a top-paying sponsor with “interests” of their own).

In my opinion, one of the main issues with the “directing of television” these days is that is has become more of an assembly line, than that of a individual with a critical eye making decisions. There are people producing and directing hockey games out there that couldn’t tell you if Eric Lindros was a goalie, or hoops producers that don’t know if Manute Bol was a point guard, and even soccer directors that don’t know the difference between a “through ball” and a “nutmeg”. For the sake of saving column space – this point is simply people not knowing what they are doing. And you find this in all industries in life. When Tony was a triple-frappacino with sprinkles and whipped cream high enough to tickle his eyebrows, sometimes the dude behind the counter just have no comprende’.

The Real problem to address is that people in the LIVE television industry, and not just directors, but the announcers, or ‘talent’ as they are called (usually they are called that by their fellow ‘talent’) aren’t making the correct split-second decisions when the shot is on the line. And being LIVE, there are hundreds, and sometimes thousands of shots “on the line” during the show. Do any of the following bother you as a fan:

-Going to a commercial in a hockey game right when you know a fight is
Just about to break out.
-Seeing a tight shot of a goalie when you know there is a tussle going on in the crease
-Missing a key play in football because they showed 5 replays of the off-tackle
3-yard gain
-Not seeing Scott Erickson walk off the field to a standing ovation because the
commercial came too quickly.

Those are conscious decisions – and I think many directors out there are missing the “game inside the game” as Tony would say. If the Wild take a 3-Zip lead tomorrow night against the moderately-mighty Ducks, you can guarantee that I will have a camera on George Parros – because he isn’t coming onto the ice for the puck.

Final note on directing – as it ties into the fact that there are way too many negative people in the world. Sports are a break from our day-to-day lives, and it should be covered in a more positive fashion. That is where the responsibility of the journalist comes into play. If there is an outstanding QB to REC for 75 yards, WHY should the defensive back for 6 seconds? If a goal is scored and the NHL arena is rocking, why show the goalie for 4 seconds – why not show the huddle and grab ass and true happiness of that moment. When a player strikes out, why show a 5 second shot of the guy walking back to dugout, why not show the pitcher and how he was effective. If Lebron James goes hard to the hoop and gets fouled, why spend 10 seconds showing how ineffective the defender was – you can TELL THAT STORY by showing how EFFECTIVE #23 is.

My M.O. is more positive and less negative. I NEVER show a player in penalty box – whether I am doing the Boys’ HS Tourney Finals or the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I try to show more ‘happy’ and less ‘sad’ as it is sports, not surgery or war.

Announcers would be a much longer subject to cover. The best that I have worked with are: Vin Scully, Bob Brenley, Bob Miller, Sam Rosen, Glenn Davis (soccer) and and and and

My take is that the Play-by-Play needs to be more of a ringleader and less opinionated. I want to LEARN from the Jim Jackson’s of the world, I don’t need to hear the Play-by-Play’s opinion on how he thinks the power-play would be better off if they employed the “high-umbrella”…PxP should give the meat and potatoes, Analysts should supply the real tasty parts of the meal…

Thanks a lot Tony for riling me up…If anybody is still reading, odds are slim, give your opinions on what you like or don’t like seeing on TV..Because I just happen to know a guy who can make a difference..

patO

Anonymous said...

I think the problem is that there are now too many networks broadcasting sports. Don't get me wrong, I love the actual coverage of more sports. What I don't love is the fact that these new networks need to hire people to work there and most of them have no business being where they are. One example that I can think of right now....Spencer Tollackson on the BTN. Seriously, have you heard this guy try to give a post game interview? It's painful. Just give me silence during the game and the on field/court updates with Erin Andrews and I'm fine.

CMonty

Unknown said...

Living in Atlanta now (and Charlotte before that), I have never heard Tom Hamilton call a game. But I'm sure I still would prefer his "Triple" to Brent Musberger's "3-Ball". What the sporting event, if Musberger is calling it my enthusiasm for watching immediately plummets about 70%. He needs to retire and take Dick Vitale with him. That would be awesome, baby.

Unknown said...

Living in Atlanta now (and Charlotte before that), I have never heard Tom Hamilton call a game. But I'm sure I still would prefer his "Triple" to Brent Musberger's "3-Ball". What the sporting event, if Musberger is calling it my enthusiasm for watching immediately plummets about 70%. He needs to retire and take Dick Vitale with him. That would be awesome, baby.

Tony Zosel said...

Good Posts Fellas:

PatO - I get your take on Positivity, but when a guy says, "its cold outside but its going to get warm inside the Kohl Center...." Someone needs to draw the line.

Tom & Pete - Can't watch Brent or Dicky V. It hurts too much.

Carl - Agree that the economics just aren't there for how many games are being played. Hence Spencer Tollackson gets a job. There is better talent on Cable Access...seriously.

Anonymous said...

Two words....

BRENT MUSBERGER

Why couldn't he have just faded away like Irv, Phyllis, and the immortal Jayne Kennedy?! This clown must have pictures of the BCS committee at a Shriner's convention with Paris Hilton and the Olsen Twins because he has set the record for "becoming a caricature of himself". Couldn't Herbstreit (love 'em) whisper in Brent's ear occasionally to remind him that not only is he not Keith Jackson, but he will never be. I mean, honestly, he's missed more calls than Don Denkinger and the next time he admits to an error will be the first time. I can just see him parading around pompously after games so he can be noticed by some single-digit IQ co-ed and have her tell him how great he is. My life-long hope is that he continues walking until he realizes the parking lot is empty.

Here endeth the lesson.

Peter Johnson