StatCounter

Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Non Bucket List

Everyone has a bucket list, I'm creating a Non Bucket List of things I won't do, ever (sports related).

Some by choice, some by sheer physical impossibility, some by financial/prestige impossibility.

Choice:

1. Go to any MLB stadium and cheer for a big market team
2. Go to a PGA tour event and shout, "You the Man!"
3. Argue with an ump during a Kindergarten softball game
4. String together the next three sentences into one. Lets. Go. Red.
5. Beat my chest when my favorite MLB team wins the worst division baseball

Physical:

1. Sky Dive
2. Enter a Hot Dog eating contest
3. Play on a JCC under 6 foot basketball team
4. Run Boston Marathon
5. Pose with David Stern as #1 pick in NBA draft

Financial/Prestige:

1. Play Augusta
2. Move to Edina ;)
3. Throw out the first pitch at Twins game
4. Sit court side next to Jack at a Lakers game (ran out of choice ones)
5. Coach PeeWee football for a living

Besides your obvious loyalties and the dude who reads this that thinks he's the next Prefontaine, do you see yourself doing any of these 15?  If so, why?

Z

4 comments:

markssportingmanifesto said...

Great list outside of the "Go to any MLB stadium and cheer for a big market team" - There seems to be the perception that being a fan of a big market team in baseball is easy . . . they have all the money, exclusive tv deals, buy their way to success, yada, yada, yada. I would argue that being a Yankee fan (as I am) is far from easy. I expect the Yankees to win the World Series every year in much the same way I expect Manchester United to win the English Premier League. Obviously that doesn't happen and every year it doesn't, I'm disappointed. It's not the Yankees' fault that MLB fails to impose a salary cap, much like football, basketball, hockey etc. And what constitues a big market team these days, as it seems like that list has expanded to include 12 teams not called the NY Yankees with payrolls over $100 million? Even the Twins' payroll exceeds that of the Dodgers. The Times They Are A Changin' Good blog!

Anonymous said...

Roach says:

Working backwards on a few of these:
5. Coach PeeWee football for a living - love to retire from current profession and be a coach, including peewee
3. Play on a JCC under 6 foot basketball team - this would be equivalent to playing in 40 year old and above hoops league, I could see myself doing that one.
1. Sky Dive - for sure on my real bucket list.
5. Beat my chest when my favorite MLB team wins the worst division baseball - I do this every year and will continue to cheer for financially challenged team (relative to al east, even with our new stadium) that has been so consistent the last decade to keep giving us a chance in the postseason- one of these years it will matter.
1. Go to any MLB stadium and cheer for a big market team- Sat in Fenway park and sang sweet Caroline and cheered for the Red Sox, sat in Wrigley bleachers and cheered for Sammy Sosa (a lot of problems with that one) and even sat in Yankee Stadium and because I was all alone and was chatting with some crazy Bronx fan with a thick accent, I cheered for Jeter- I hate the Yankees as much as anyone, but it is much more fun to cheer with the home crowd when you are soaking up the atmosphere of those great parks.
3. Argue with an ump during a Kindergarten softball game - this list for you must be "from this point forward".

Badger said...

Love (most of)the list and the blog, glad I stumbled across it today. There is one thing you should try though, Lets Go Red!! Now didn't that feel great?

You should beat your chest anytime "your" team wins anything. It's one of the best feelings there is.

toddm said...

Z - Move to Edina? Why you gotta go there? I guess when I met my Edina girl, I couldnt find Edina on a map, much less have an opinion either way. I was a WI kid, who btw, was the only kid in my school not a packer/badger fan. But remeber they both sucked before Alvarez and Farve (mispelled on purpose) toddm